Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Diversity of Humor

I love to find a stand-up comic's routine or read something that I find very funny and then pass it along to another person and watch which part makes them laugh.  Certainly, once in awhile someone laughs at exactly the same phrase or word or behavior that makes me laugh, but most of the time it is totally different.

It is often said that laughter is a universal language, but what makes people laugh is very diverse.  Our sense of humor is unique--shaped and formed by our identity, our culture, our family, our beliefs and life experiences.  Comic routines actually celebrate diversity--our similarities and our differences.

I am not ashamed to say I am a graduate of the School of Eternal Optimism, and I think humor and its diversity is one way we can understand and appreciate each other.  I want to start a Foundation that supports the growth and development of humor and laughter throughout the world, which is why I am buying a lottery ticket and saying Novenas to the Patron Saint of Gambling--St. Roulette.   Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment